Monday, November 30, 2009

Welcome to Australia!

Yesterday we arrived in Sydneytown after a great flight - I slept for all but 3 hours which was fabulous! We successfully made it through customs - minus a small glitch with our visas - but nonetheless got through with all of our food we brought along, as I was very concerned haha

Both David and Mark were waiting for us at the arrivals terminal, which was very exciting! We were quickly told that we WAY overpacked and didn't leave room for all of the shopping we will be doing! So don't be surprised if I bring an additional suitcase home :) After loading up David's car, we took a very scenic drive back to his home - along the harbour and cross the Harbour Bridge, with spectacular views of the Opera House - I had to keep pinching myself, and still am, I cannot believe that I am in Australia - finally! Straight away we were gaining our bearings and learning all about how things are here - driving on the left side of the road, yield signs reading "give way" and immediately learning an entire new language! The Australian slang is unbelievable!!!

After we dropped our bags and freshened up at the Murriot (the Murray's home) in North Curl Curl, Dean (David's oldest son) and his girlfriend took us to breaky - aka breakfast - down at Freshies in Freshwater Beach. I had to try the chocolate milkshake, which was more of a chocolate milk :) Then the youngest of the Murray boys, Eric, took Katie and I down to North Curl Curl Beach - just a short walk from the house. It wasn't terribly warm, but the sun was peaking through the clouds and we swam out in the ocean :) The water was slightly chilly, but definitely warmer than home. Learned that it is very important to swim between the flags to be sure not to get caught in a rip. Soaked up a few more rays before heading home and cleaning up before an early dinner. David, Louise, Eric, Katie and I met Mark and his wife Sandy down at Dee Why Beach...turns out Sandy's best friend is the mom that Caitlyn is an au pair for! Small world!

Dinner was great, and then I was ready for bed at about 8. To ensure a solid night's sleep, Katie and I joined David in a shot of patron...and it was bedtime! [Dad: by the way, David says Thanks! for the tequilla!]


Slept in this morning til about 8; it was cloudy and rainy all day (bummer), so we thought it'd be best to go to the zoo and see some Australian animals! We made it down to the Manly ferry and met up with Caitlyn - yiipppeeee! I was SO excited to see her!!! So fun =D We hopped on the ferry to Circular Quay in Sydneytown - by the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, then hopped onto the next ferry to Taronga Zoo.  It was VERY cool to see the kangaroos and koalas up close!!! After walking around for awhile, we took the sky safari above the zoo and back down to the ferry. Dean picked us up at Manly Wharf, we dropped Caitlyn off at home, and on our way home we drove through the cave....get this - a drive-through liquor store! hahaha I thought this is so funny! Now getting ready for a night out on the town in Manly...

Tomorrow: Hunter Valley!

1 comment:

  1. Drive through liquor store?! You've got to be kidding me lol. My mouth basically dropped, I love it! Sounds like you're having an amazing time! :) Be safe, watch out for those crazy kangaroos!

    ReplyDelete