Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 6: BridgeClimb!

Friday was a full day of thrilling adventure! David and Louise dropped us down at the Manly ferry and we boated as usual into Circular Quay. The task at hand: the BridgeClimb. I don't know if I was being ignorant or what - but I was expecting for some reason or another to be climbing steps like a staircase - WRONG! Ladders would be more correct, with grates where you can see all the way through to the bottom! Ahhhhhh

After putting on a full jumpsuit and belt harness, we also attached our sunnies, hats, fleece jacket, hankerchief for runny noses, and headset with radio to listen to our guide. After that we had a practice climb - where we literally practiced climbing STEEP ladders in the warehouse - then it was off to the climb! Always clipped in of course, but I can say that I had clammy palms almost the entire time...we quickly made friends with the guides and Mick (one of the guides) happily sang 'California Girls' most of the 3 1/2 climb. First walked along a straightaway of narrow wood planks under the bridge, onto a grated platform and seeing all the way down to the water, and then time to ascend those STEEP ladders...up one flight of ladder, then another, and another, and before I knew it I was climbing such that my I was coming up from below the bridge to being eye level with cars that were wisking on by...ahhhhh...then another flight of ladder and another, all while seeing straight through to the bottom --- let's just say that this tested my means for personal internal encouragement and reassurance. After getting up all the ladders, my face must have reflected my fear that I was trying to overcome and the guide immediately asked how I was doing....and it soon turned into me being the 'picked on' one of the group - but it was all in good fun :) [This is after I was picked to demonstrate putting on the harness, the headset, etc etc so by that point I was maybe the only name they remembered and easily the root of any joke haha]

The ladders were by far the worst of it all ... because you could see all the way down to the water below ... but this next part wasn't as bad because now we were on the top of the bridge, so I could climb on a much wider solid surface. Fabulous, right? These were more of staircase stairs, but it was windyyy.... my jumpsuit filled with air and gave a very attractive look ;) Climbed to the tippy top (134m above sea level, about 440 ft) stopping a number of times along the way for photos, take in the views, and learn some of the history of Sydney Harbour. Get this though, at the VERY top in the middle of the bridge (which runs north to south) we crossed east to west - yes, across the width of the bridge and conveniently stopping smack dab in the middle to enjoy the view of what, the cars driving below??? I don't think so! Made it across and down the other side, back down all those ladders, along the underside of the bridge and back to solid ground! LAND!!! Although scary, DEFINITELY worth every minute of my heart racing and palms sweating - - unbelieveable views and a really great time!

Enjoyed a lunch of fish and chips afterwards then caught a ferry to get back to North Curl Curl to go to a Surf Boardriders party with the boys down at the beach...met lots of people - cute surfer boys that is - and had a great time! David told us to use the story that he surfed Mavericks with our dads to get the boys talking...


pre-bridge climb fright...




check out those sweet outfits! and no, I won't dare let go of that side rail!!




With the Murray boys - Eric, Katie, Me, Adam, and Dean




On the harbour with the Opera House




Vuala! Painting canvases at Darling Harbour




How'd I do???

No comments:

Post a Comment