Monday, December 28, 2009

I'm Home!

I'm back! I made it home safely on the morning of the 23rd :) 

My last few days in Sydney were amazing......
Monday the 21st we were off to the Blue Mountains - a great day spent with Katie and Caitlyn! First stop was at the Featherdale Wildlife Park, to pet and feed kangaroos and koalas =) This was by far my most favorite part of the day - made friends with this cute little kangaroo, so cute. Then of course we saw some wombats, lots of freely roaming emus (little bit scary), peacocks, birds, echidnas...Then we were on our way to learn how to throw a boomerang! Wow, was that tricky, a very technical task to say the least - our driver Bob was a great teacher...then finally, moving onto the Blue Mountains - it was a very quick tour, but that was alright since by this point the blue sunny skies were gone and it was beginning to thunder! We rode on a HUGE gondola (standing only) to the Jameson valley floor and then walked through this old old valley...this existed during the Jurassic Period with the dinosaurs, but more recently, it served as a huge coal mining place. After our nature walk we experienced the 52degree incline to get up and out of the valley, what the miners would walk up when they were done with their work - only we road on a railway - the steepest railway there is, moving from a very reclined seat to almost standing up as we moved almost vertically up out of the valley. When we went up and down we had great views of 'The Three Sisters' rock formation and did get the chance to see the blue haze - both of which the blue mountains are known for. Before heading home, we had a quick stop at the famous Leura lolly shop!

Monday night we had a GREAT barbecue - steak and kangaroo! Yummmmm :) I do have to say, kangaroo has been one of my favorite new foods of the trip.

Tuesday was my last day exploring Sydney, and after enjoying a coffee in Circular Quay, we spent most of our time shopping for Chrissy! Also saw the Sydney Christmas tree in front of city hall, which was beautiful...that night, the Daleys had us all over for our last dinner in Australia...it was a great night of hanging out, spending time with new friends, and I know that we will most definitely be keeping in touch!

Wednesday we woke up to surf down at Curly Beach with Erik and Adam. Couldn't have asked for a better day! It was warm and sunny, and just the right size waves for riding the longboard :) And yes, I did get up! Yay!!! The morning down at the beach was a great way to spend our last few hours...then it was off to the airport to say our goodbyes and hop on the 14 hour flight to SF. The whole gang was waiting (very patiently as their was a backup in customs coming back into the States) and it was great to see all their faces and signs as we walked through the arrivals doors!

Ahhh what a trip, every moment was amazing, and the excursions were unbelievable! I don't that 6 months ago I think I would have guessed that I would be seeing world wonders, meeting great new friends, and having the time of my life 7500 miles away from home by the year's end...plus, it was surreal to be having such a great time visiting with Caitlyn in the land down under! This definitely scratched my travel itch for now...but I know that sometime there will be somewhere else in the world that I will love to travel to and explore :)

Hope that everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!! Wishing you a great New Year and all the best in 2010!

Cheers to the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment