Sunday, December 20, 2009

SHARK ATTACK!




Current news report in Australia: 
SYDNEY — An Australian man was in hospital Sunday after surviving a shark attack while diving off the country's northeast coast, officials said. The 19-year-old was diving at Lamont Reef, off central Queensland's Herron Island, when he was bitten on the arm, the Royal Flying Doctor Service said after taking him to the Royal Brisbane Hospital. "He was in a stable condition when our doctor left him at the hospital there," a spokesman for the Royal Flying Doctor Service told AFP. "Any kind of shark bite is serious. But I believe his condition is stable, it's not life-threatening." Sharks are a common feature of Australian waters but fatal attacks are rare.
...this shark attack was not too from where I went snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef just two weeks ago...SCARY!!!


And, in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper this morning:
Close encounter: shark makes waves at Balmoral
A thresher shark made an unexpected visit to a Sydney Harbour beach yesterday (at Balmoral beach)...about 6-7 ft long
this is REALLY close to Curly Beach, so I was very careful to swim with many other people this afternoon, and was always sure to stay close to shore (and always was sure to have someone else further out to sea than I was, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment